BUILTHERITAGE
Stewarded by the City of Edmonton Archives
  • By Time
  • By Place
  • By Story
⌘K
BUILTHERITAGE
Stewarded by the City of Edmonton Archives

Discover the structures, places, and stories that shaped Edmonton's built environment.

Resources

NewsFAQsLinks

Contact

City of Edmonton Archivesarchives@edmonton.ca780-496-8711

We acknowledge that the land on which Edmonton is built is Treaty Six Territory. We thank the diverse Indigenous Peoples whose footsteps have marked this territory for centuries, such as nêhiyaw (Cree), Dené, Anishinaabe (Saulteaux), Nakota Isga (Nakota Sioux), and Niitsitapi (Blackfoot) peoples. We also acknowledge this as the Métis homeland and the home of one of the largest communities of Inuit south of the 60th parallel. It is a welcoming place for all peoples who come from around the world to share Edmonton as a home. It is important that we not only recognize our shared histories, but also each other's contributions to establishing the built heritage of Edmonton and Area.

© 2026 City of Edmonton Archives
Privacy Policy•Terms of Use•Accessibility
  1. Structures

St. Joseph's Hospital

This modern hospital, designed by prominent Edmonton architect George Heath Macdonald, was opened in January 1948 by the Sisters of Providence of St. Vincent de Paul.

On this record

Connections
14Connections
Stories
1Stories
Photos
2Photos
Photograph of St. Joseph's Hospital taken in 2006, part of the City of Edmonton Archives collection.
Photograph of St. Joseph's Hospital taken in 2006, part of the City of Edmonton Archives collection.

On this page

Details

Built
1948
Neighbourhood
Garneau
Address
10722-82 Avenue, Edmonton, AB, T6E 6P4
Historic designation
Unknown
Time period
The Post War Years: 1946-1970
People
George Heath MacDonald
Architectural styles
Art Deco Influences
Character defining elements
Brick Cladding, Carving, Cornice, Flat Roof, Frontispiece, Glass Block, Metal Structure, Rectangular Footprint, Smooth Stone, Three Storeys or More

Location

About

St. Joseph's Hospital was a 150 bed modern facility for the care of the chronically ill of all ages, including victims of poliomyelitis. The original building was four stories of brick and limestone detailing. Built during the modern period, the building is influenced by the International style with its flat lines, but it also exhibits many Art Deco elements including the central pavilion main entrance and stone cut chevron details. In 1955 an additional two storeys were added to provide chronic care beds. In 1963 the neighbouring Whyte Block was demolished and an auditorium was added. Two pavilion end wings were added in 1965 - a three-storey chapel on the east side and a convent residence on the west.

St. Joseph's Hospital served the community until it was closed in 1993. The following year it was designated a Municipal Historic Resource and rehabilitated for use as a condo building. A seventh floor addition was added, set back from the original parapet, and was meant to complement the original 1948 building in materials, colour, proportions and architectural details. The original windows were replaced with double hung, double glazed units. Balconies were added, and the main floor altered to allow for commercial space. Every effort was made to retain the original material and features, such as the frontispiece, exterior lights, and stained glass windows.

Stories

Media